Monday, August 12, 2002

Wait! I meant to say that corporate interference with sovereignty is a good thing [NYT]
So it was no wonder that when the State Department issued a travel advisory on May 31 warning Americans to leave India because the war prospects had risen to "serious levels," all these global firms who had moved their back rooms to Bangalore went nuts.

"That day," said Vivek Paul, vice chairman of Wipro, "I had a C.I.O. [chief information officer] from one of our big American clients send me an e-mail saying: `I am now spending a lot of time looking for alternative sources to India. I don't think you want me doing that, and I don't want to be doing it.' I immediately forwarded his letter to the Indian ambassador in Washington and told him to get it to the right person."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author