Wednesday, March 26, 2003

So we don't seem to be shocking and aweing anyone except some auto mechanics and casual bystanders -- and cable news commentators, some of whom became visibly aroused last night at the mention of "e-bombs" (it was on Fox, but it could have been anywhere). A friend of Neal Pollack's explains the reality behind the abstraction:
A year ago this month, I was sitting on a ridge in Afghanistan hunting down Al-Qaeda stragglers in a valley near the Pakistani boarder. As I sat watching the sun set over the mountains to my east, I couldn't help but admire the sheer size and majesty of one particular snow-capped mountain. It was certainly bigger than any "mountain" I had seen back home in East Tennessee and it stood out from the rest of the mountains.

And then I watched the mountain disappear.

A huge red fireball of flames and sparks and smoke shot up thousands of feet into the air where a B-52 had just dropped a giant "Daisy Cutter." The twilight darkness covering the valley highlighted the incredible size of the explosion.

My best friend, one of my squad leaders, was sitting by my side while we shared an MRE. We watched the explosion, sat transfixed for a few moments, and then stared at each other in disbelief.

"Holy fuck," I remember one of us stuttering.

That is one of our "small" fuel-air bombs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author