Wednesday, April 07, 2004

food

Today's Times is schizophrenic, veering from saffron and vanilla to William Grimes in a Wal-Mart. This is why you stopped reviewing? Speaking of which, Amanda returns to reality, complete with a little snark -- "a salad... would improve if Ms. Sparks dropped the 1980's-style feta-stuffed phyllo bow ties" -- in a review of some place on the UWS. Also, Macao doesn't sound too bad. Bonus SF slant with Bittman on the Slanted Door and a cameo from the ubiquitous Melanie Wong in the master of wine article.

The Chron has so many articles about eggs that I would have to call it an eggstravanganza were I a weaker man. I'll save you the effort: they say all eggs taste the same, and you should poach them with a little vinegar and salt. I'm still trying to figure out the odd congruities between the Chron and the LA Times, which ran its own egg story two weeks ago.

The latter paper is a wash this week.

Check out the 2004 IACP nominees and Beard journalism awards, courtesy of Sauté Wednesday.

If that's not enough for you, check out the kinja food section. It's still a little buggy, but it's pretty cool.

Update
In honor of spring, I was going to regale you with another of my favorite things, but there is a passable recipe for vignole here (but for God's sake, use fresh artichokes), and really, the whole point of vignole is the deliciousness of the first tiny favas of the season, which you'd be better off eating straight out of the pod. But I didn't want "my favorite things" to consist only of the simple and obvious ingredients, like Colman Andrews's tomato with salt -- even though those are my favorite things, because you probably can't get fresh favas yet, and if you can they're not as good as mine, and I didn't want to rub it in; and besides, if those aren't already your favorite things than I can teach you nothing. But then I thought "fuck it," so: contemplate the Ojai Pixie.

Also, Bruce Cole turns to artisanal bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author