Wednesday, June 15, 2005

catching up with... the Cod

Holy shit, I haven't "blogged" for two weeks. Neither here nor there except insofar as I failed to weigh in on the Cod's Desert Island Cookbooks. Depending, of course, on said island's latitude and degree of desertification, one would be advised to bring along the two Euell Gibbons classics Stalking the Wild Asparagus and Stalking the Blue-Eyed Scallop. Cornucopia II would also be wise, not to mention, I'm afraid, Man Eating Bugs. And the appropriate Alan Davidson Seafood of... of course.

As La D. suggested, Larousse Gastronomique would probably be the most useful companion assuming one had access to sufficient ingredients.

But if I had to choose a single food related book to read while starving to death, it would of course be Honey from a Weed, by the Larousse's first English translator, the great Patience Gray. A practical selection, as a good part of it is devoted to starving on the island of Naxos. But more importantly, it is something one could read daily, with pleasure and awe and without boredom, while awaiting death.

Elsewhere, I realize you east coasters are just reacquinting yourselves with strawberries, but peaches out west are (just) now edible, and the Chron notes a few new varieties. All I can say is that subacid stonefruit can fellate my sh2 corncob. I wouldn't feed either to a dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author