Tuesday, December 13, 2005

consume: bad music

Of course, the album of the year -- metal clowns or no -- is Mastodon's Leviathan (you can watch the offending video here, unless your browser crashes).

But because of my advanced age, I will instead be talking about an album from last year, High on Fire's Blessed Black Wings. The label calls High on Fire a cross of Mötorhead and Slayer, which might be true if you were trying to listen to them from the bottom of a well. Full of Jägermeister. Their last album felt like drinking a well full of Jägermeister, then deciding to go smoke a bowl and listen to some tunes with Grendel's mom, which probably explains why it took me so long to buy the "new" one.

But this record does sound a little like Mötorhead, probably thanks to the Steve Albini production, which lifts and separates Matt Pike's trademark sludge without violating its spirit. Joe Preston (ex-Melvins) on bass helps the songs move along more than had been their wont.

I still have no idea where they got the Slayer, unless it's Pike's lyrics, lifted, as usual, straight out of the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Most importantly, Blessed Black Wings features monstrous riffage, which is all that matters. Buy it for all your loved ones this holiday season.

Disclaimer: I have terrible taste in music. Do not follow my advice, unless you want to rock at all costs.

*

Typically, I forgot about one of the most interesting books I read this year, Julie Guthman's Agrarian Dreams: The Paradox of Organic Farming in California, reviewed here. Since the book came out last year, though, I'm off the hook. Better new book ideas are to be had from Kitchen Arts and Letters. Ask them for a copy of their latest newsletter.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to check out Mastodon. This comment is meant to reaffirm that vow.

-sac

Tue Dec 13, 10:44:00 PM GMT  
Blogger alizinha said...

this is all a joke post, right?

i don't think i'm ready to rock at that level...

Wed Dec 14, 02:02:00 AM GMT  
Blogger mmw said...

No, I'm deadly serious, I'm afraid. (The joke is that the Sac is the only person who reads this who might benefit from my advice. Also, that motherfucker needs to leave his comfortable suburban life and fucking rock out with me 1/18.)

Muses and other gentle creatures should back carefully away from this entry and go buy Luis Bonfá Solo in Rio 1959.

Wed Dec 14, 05:46:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure how useful your advice is (other than the perennially popular 'lower your expectations and drink more') but I suspect I know what you're getting my boyfriend for xmas.

Wed Dec 14, 09:41:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, extreme metal is something that cannot be explained to those who are not called to it. Kind of like the priesthood.

What is happening on 1/18, that link is broken? Also, the suburbs are fucking street, dawg.

-sac

Wed Dec 14, 10:00:00 PM GMT  
Blogger mmw said...

Fuck. Worked on preview. High on Fire live at 12 Galaxies. You know you want it. Did you change your email address?

Thu Dec 15, 08:21:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous No MSG said...

I am a metal clown. I liked Leviathan, but I must insist: album of the year is the Giraffes' self-titled. It's the only record I own I can listen to on indefinite repeat, which never happens, because some lame-ass always barges in to complain that I'm rocking out too hard. I have listened to it 100 times consecutively and at that point I can see both energy and time.

Mon Dec 19, 09:24:00 PM GMT  
Blogger mmw said...

Heard good things about those Giraffes, I'll check 'em out. They seem more Hellacopters-y than metal, stictly speaking.

Wed Dec 21, 08:17:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mastodon sucks. That band probably wouldn't even exist if it weren't for HOF (they formed at one of their shows). I like prog rock don't get me wrong, but man I really hate that prog metal crap. I just don't get the Mastodon hype but I understand why people dig Matt Pike's music. I went to see the Hidden Hand once and Mastodon was headlining. I figured they would be better live so I saw the first 2 songs. Nope, they suck in every way.

Wed Apr 05, 09:53:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author