Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Death Watch

A loyal reader (who knew?) alerts me to the federal subsidy of a Quiznos sub. Now I'm no fan of compelled government speech -- which is what the Supreme Court has decided checkoffs are -- but you'll understand if I fail to muster sufficient outrage here. That would depend on the conviction that the USDA's nutritionists are any less full of shit than its agribusiness marketers. [Marion Nestle, who does believe in the science of nutrition, has been beating this drum for a long time, and last year it showed up both in the mainstream media and even in Scalia's opinion in Johanns v LMA]. I should also point out that although I have never eaten at Quiznos, the sub in question appears marginally less revolting than the Domino's Steak Fanatic Pizza the Beef Checkoff funded last year.

Not to to say that the real issue -- the obscenity of government-funded advertising for private enterprise -- isn't enraging, of course. Those of you more devoted than I to the topic will want to check out Agribusiness 19/3 (2003), special issue on the economics of commodity checkoffs. If you don't have access, I can send you pdfs.

*

Saveur death watch: they're down to like 15 ad pages. At least Colman Andrews didn't write the whole issue himself, like last month. But whoever edited Regina's bizarrely truncated article clearly can't afford his meds anymore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Fesser@gmail.com said...

It would be so hot if the gubmint was honest and they launched the USS Quizno's from New London.

Thu Apr 06, 07:55:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Colman Andrews said...

Man, you guys on that "Saveur death watch" must be getting awfully tired. It's been going on for about ten years now. You probably should have been paying attention instead to "Cargo" or "Elle Girl", which I bet slipped right past you.

For the record, the April issue of Saveur has close to 30 ad pages, not "like 15". And, hey, you might not like my writing, which is fine, but I don't write whole issues by myself to save the magazine money; I do it because I like to, at least every once in a while. I've been doing it for years. See November 1998 on Burgundy, November 1999 on Venice, and May/June 2001 on California.

All our editors can afford their meds, incidentally. We have really good health insurance.

Wed May 31, 01:32:00 PM GMT  
Blogger mmw said...

Hi Colman! As my legions of regular readers know, Saveur is the only food publication I can bear to read. I would be immensely sad to see you go: I'm just worried about you.

You do have to admit that Regina's article was edited oddly, though I can't remember why anymore.

Wed May 31, 04:59:00 PM GMT  
Blogger mro said...

Has anyone seen Colman Andrews - I understand he has left Saveur Magazine

Wed Jul 26, 08:49:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author