Friday, June 02, 2006

Convergence

Although Marian Burros doesn't really go into detail on joys of mackerel -- which are manifold, at least for Atlantic mackerel -- she does (inadvertently) bring up the problems with eating down on the food chain, explained in a heroically discursive post two years ago. How did I write all that? Problem: once humans really start competing with big pelagic fish for dinner, whatever we haven't already fished out of existence will be doubly fucked.

Coincidentally, my "solution" then (there is of course no solution except the chance that your own mortality will arrive before the oceans') was Colman Andrews's anchovy spines, which I still endorse. Just to prove that I do like the guy. I'm sure it's superfluous to tell you to buy the book.

Furthermore, I've got some (sustainably fished, local, montessori) sturgeon salting in the fridge wrapped in lemon leaves, inspired by Saveur's latest Sorrento article (I swear they did another one in the last 5 years or so... I guess I could look it up in that sexy new recipe index... or you could). I can confirm that the mozzarella grilled thusly is indeed "the bomb."

The poor Cod, on his trip to the frontier last week, had to bail on his shot at grilled lemon leaves. If he's lucky I'll FedEx him some... [mozzarella link via tfs].

3 Comments:

Anonymous kk said...

so for those us of without grilling opportunities, what do you think of broiled mozzarella?

i'm wondering who i might hornswaggle into gutting anchovies for me...

and you call yourself lazy.

Fri Jun 02, 07:26:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only one more day. Have you made the preparations?

-sac

Mon Jun 05, 03:07:00 PM GMT  
Blogger mmw said...

Of course. I've been pouring concrete all weekend.

KK: Saveur wants you to do it in a grill pan (~40 secs. a side), which you will certainly own if you don't have a grill.

You should have no trouble procuring cleaned anchovies from one of your city's many fine fishmongers who tend to be susceptible to a lady's charms.

Mon Jun 05, 04:55:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author