Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Overheard in front of Chez Panisse

Dirty hippie teen* (looking at fixed menu): Eighty-five dollars! Ooooh look: [attempting to say apertif] An aperture. And [attempting to say carpaccio] sar... pish... o with baby leeks!

Slightly less dirty hippie teen: Dude, haven't you heard about this place! It's run by Alice Waters, she's all into... localities and shit.

[Pause]

Slightly less dirty hippie teen: Yeah, she's really blowin' up right now.



The food was alright.



UPDATE: IT'S THE WATER!: Our out of town companion, who fell ill the next day, was told by an obviously unsustainable doctor back east that it was a reaction to "foreign" water.

*Who am I kidding, they were probably mid-twenties. Who can tell anymore?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger samin said...

what did you have? why wasn't it really good?

Sat Apr 07, 04:01:00 PM GMT  
Blogger mmw said...

Actually, my app. was really good -- some kind of smoked "cod" salad the details of which I now forget. Pizza crust was better than I remembered it too, but that's not quite as exciting as it used to be.

But I don't think I'm being jaded when I say I haven't been blown away by CP for a long time.

I mean, I get mostly the same ingredients they do -- and a lot cheaper, at least in the case of Jim Churchill's tangerine's -- and I'm a decent cook with similar principles (keep it simple, etc.).

So it takes a little something extra -- like smoking cod, for example -- to impress me in a restaurant. Roasted Halibut isn't gonna do it, esp. if it's a little dry.

Mon Apr 09, 09:43:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

Wed Apr 11, 06:38:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author