Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Joyful Tidings from the New World, or
Gimme Sugar

A belated celebration of Chris Colon (fuck you, I had to work) and update of my occasional annual series of good things:

1. I'm not really a dessert person. Sugar interferes with my preferred methods of dopamine pathway alignment. (I do, however, like it when you order dessert at a restaurant, because it gives me time to drink a digestif). But a few months ago, I realized that chocolate can be had with little sugar. Extensive testing in the 80% cacao range produced a winner in Green & Black's 70%. (I liked various bars up to about 83% cacao, but this one tasted most intensely of chocolate, somehow). But the most satisfying chocolate bar of all is Venchi's peperoncino.
Chilli + xocoatl = dopamine uptake inhibition. Bring it.

2. Hey, did someone say digestif? Oh wait, I forgot all you yuppie douchebags have driven up the price of anything drinkable out of my budget. $40 is the minimum for decent Calvados now, and have you seen the prices on real tequila? But it turns out that if you distill pure cane sugar and age it in oak for 8 years, it tastes significantly better than any Cognac I can afford. And if you do it in the most impoverished country in the hemisphere, it's fucking cheap. I'll be honest, I almost didn't write this because I don't want the aforementioned yuppie douchebags to discover Rhum Barbancourt and ruin it for me like everything else. But now that no one reads this any more, I figure I'm safe.

3. This has nothing to do with cane sugar, but early fall is the time when butternut squash and chiles poblanos collide. Is any combination better? Sticking with the hybridity theme, throw a little sage in there too.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Consider me a reader now.

How can I pass up a blog who's title is "things that piss me off"

?!

Thanks for the Blogger assistance.

Sat Nov 03, 04:22:00 AM GMT  
Blogger gretchen said...

Barbancourt is pretty good- and Brugal is even better (from the DR)- but it's hella hard to find out here- if you run into some under $20, pick me up a bottle too! (i got it for $14 back east).

Tue Nov 06, 03:33:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

©2002-2005 by the author